Disaster Safety Tips
Here are ten steps that you can follow at home and in the office to ensure your safety during an emergency:
© Copyright 2006, Marlyco Inc.
- Prepare emergency supplies (food, water, blankets) and First Aid kits, including prescription medications.
- Learn how to turn off gas, water and electricity in case the lines are damaged.
- Know the safe spots in every room - under sturdy tables, desks or against inside walls, and know the danger spots - windows, mirrors, hanging objects, fireplaces, tall furniture.
- Create a disaster preparedness plan so that everyone in the family will know what to do in the event of a quake or other emergency.
- Decide where your family will reunite if separated and choose an out-of-state friend or relative whom family members can call after an earthquake to report whereabouts and conditions.
- Store emergency tools, including gas shut-off wrench and safety lightsticks.
- Secure heavy items of furniture using flexible nylon straps with peel and press application.
- Secure TVs and other electronics using flexible nylon straps with adhesive buckles.
- Secure water heaters with two-strap kits.
- Secure breakables and collectibles with Quake putty, wax or museum gel.